View Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain RR in a larger map
|The Huntingdon and Broad Top Mountain Railroad was a short line in South Central PA running from the PRR at Huntingdon, PA to the PRR at Mt. Dallas, PA. The H&BT began service in 1856 and was abandoned in 1954. The line, totaling 45 mainline miles has several branches, including the Juniata & Southern from Marklesburg to Jacobs and branches from Saxton to Broad Top City, Riddlesburg to Rommell, and Hopewell to Kearney and Sandy Run. The H&BT's branches totaled 17 miles. The H&BT had a total of 100 bridges and trestles over its 62 miles. One of the biggest is a steal trestle on stone peirs spanning the Juniata River at Huntingdon. It was built in 1917 and is still standing. The H&BT transported coal mined from the west side of Broad Top Mountain to Huntingdon where it was picked up by the PRR. The East Broad Top RR is a narrow gauge railroad that mined the east side of the mountain and transported the coal to Mt. Union where it was taken away also by the PRR.|
In March 1954, the PRR delivered a Whitcomb centercab to the interchange at Mt. Dallas for the new Everett Railroad which would begin operations in April on the southern-most portion of the H&BT from Mt. Dallas to Tatesville. The scrapper, Hyman-Michaels Company, cut the rails at Cypher once the diesel was at Everett. Scrapping of the line north of Cypher began immediately with H&BT 38 providing motive power. All rolling stock and 6 locomotives were towed to Huntingdon by #38 for scrapping. Today, #38 is the only remaining locomotive with one passenger car, and a few cabooses remain as well. The H&BT continued to serve Mt. Dallas to Tatesville with the diesel until March 31, 1954.
The following day, the new Everett Railroad officially began operations. From 1954 until 1982, the EV served the Everett area on former H&BT rails. Then, in a weird series of events, the railroad was purchased, and moved to Claysburg, PA and operated between Brooks Mills and Sproul on the Bedford Secondary. Conrail decided to abandon the Mt. Dallas and Bedford Secondaries, the EV's only connection to the outside world in 1982. Today, the EV now interchanges with Norfolk Southern at Duncansville on the Cove Secondary then goes south to Brook Mills where there is a branch to Martinsburg. The Railroad's office is in Duncansville and the shop is in Claysburg
Two small parts of the H&BT still remain today. The one mile 'Long's Siding' crosses the Juniata into Smithfield and is available to serve a few industries if needed in the future. The location of the H&BT yard is now a bussiness park that is home to 7D Industries, Warnaco and the former US Sports building. About four miles of track remains between Cypher and Tatesville but is in no shape for use. All along the line there are many H&BT remains.
H&BT 2-8-0 was recently purchased from the Knox & Kane RR by Alan Maples of the current Everett RR.
Some of the information on this page has been provided by Keith Burkey.
Copyright © 2001-2009 Lance Myers. All rights reserved.
Back to PA History